February 10, 2009

Why?

Commercials are something that I find beyond ridiculous. However, without them I know getting my weekly source of Jack Bauer and Chuck Bass would be impossible. So I deal. It's called mute. My roommate and I both have our commercials we absolutely despise. For Rom it’s that Maria Menounos hair commercial about volume...just no. For me it’s that new yogurt one where yuppies ask me if I’m feeling Yoptimal…I’m not. While both are beyond annoying, we have coping methods to deal.

There is one commercial however that has just gone too far. Not only does it make me feel weird, but it completely freaked me out the first time I watched it. I’m talking about the peer into a soul ones…where various characters walking up to an unknown window and then “peer” into it. There is no dialogue, merely text directing you to a website, peerintoasoul.ca. After seeing the commercial multiple times we thought it could be about anything from mental health to safe driving –oh how wrong we were.

Finally we checked it out. I was literally terrified at what may pop up on my screen, but when I did peer through my fingers, what was staring back at me…a freakin KIA. A car. A stupid little dumbass car. Needless to say we were choked. What the hell were they trying to portray with their ads? That wearing a really creepy mask and breathing heavily onto a window will spur the masses to purchase a new ride? Maybe they are just trying to get people to check out their site, generate some mystic? This, I'm sure, can be done without cauing mild panic attacks at opening their home screen. KIA...I’m not convinced...I'm just disturbed.

No comments: