March 4, 2008



Cate & Leo
...similar to Kate & Leopold that really bad movie with Meg Ryan, only BETTER.

After watching Todd Haynes confusing yet wildly creative I’m Not There last night, a movie about the multiple personas of the great Bob Dylan, I realized the genius that is Cate Blanchett. It wasn't a grande epiphany as I have always been a fan of her work, but the realization of her unique devotion to acting the roles of many different major characters. Over her career she has played a multitude of prominent figures, namely, Queen Elizabeth I...Katherine Hepburn...Queen Galadriel in Lord of the Rings and Jude Quinn (aka Bob Dylan). And she's done this well. I mean, Elizabeth: The Golden Age is not a movie you really stay awake watching while flying home from Toronto, but her desperate and humane qualities kept me engaged. And for anyone who has not seen I’m Not There, you may as well rent it on her performance alone. The total embodiment of her character and acute attention to detail makes me wish I went to theatre school and could attempt to replicate it with a third of her talent. Apparently I'm not the only one in awe of her work as she is well decorated in the award department, and was nominated for Oscars in both the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories at this year’s Academy Awards. While a select many of today's actresses have given notable performances within their careers, few are able to consistently maintain such a high level of credibility, like Cate.


While not an actress, it is fair to say Leonardo DiCaprio also consistently provides a distinct level of performance. And while I admittedly am charmed by the fact that he is “really really ridiculously good looking,” as well as an outspoken advocate for the environment, his acting says it all. It was two years ago, but i still say "yea yea" in a mock South African accent similar to his as Danny Archer in the acclaimed Blood Diamond, One of, if not the best, of his most recent acting roles. Scorsese’ protégée, he definitely solidified himself in the upper echelons of the acting world with repeatedly brilliant work in Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator and The Departed. Similar to Cate Blanchett, he deals with each of his roles with a definite level of intensity. It's hard to watch one of his films without being drawn to his level of detail infused character acting. And yes I realize he was in Titanic, which I have only seen once. And therefore the great love affair of Jack and Rose has not lost any of its magic for me...no matter how corny. Leo has had a long and colourful career in the acting world, and luckily for me it is not coming to a halt any time soon.


As a major fan of motion pictures, and an increasing critic of the direction they may be taking, it's a refreshing reminder to know two celebrities are using their talent to provide elevated levels of good entertainment.

No comments: