January 17, 2009

Rachel Got Married

There. Now you know the ending. You no longer have to waste your time or money seeing it. In my attempt to see movies with potential Oscar candidacy I went and saw Rachel Getting Married. And for a movie that garnered such hype, I’m thoroughly disappointed. I found myself annoyed at all the parts that discussed and centered on the wedding. Then I remembered that was the entire premise of the film. Anne Hathaway does a good job playing the irritating egotist of a sister with the shady past and propensity for uppers. But, for a protagonist who propels the narrative of the movie, how come we had her figured out from the beginning? My roommate and I also struggled with the musical melange heard through the entirety of the process. We get it, your fiancĂ© has rhythm. But as Rom pointed out, is it really probable that your wedding reception would turn into a fun loving club playing everything from blues and rock-n-roll, to reggae and jazz? Music aside, the less then climatic ending left me bitter not awe inspired. I didn't care about any of the relationships, nor did I care for the whiny undertones of the story. According to many, this opinion is not shared. So, if you’re interested in the dysfunctions of the Buckman's and watching thirty something excruciating minutes of wedding speeches, this is the movie for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would have had hurt the musicians within hours let alone a few days. I did however like the movie. I liked the juxtaposition between the tragic event and happy event. It isn’t an upbeat movie but I liked the notion of how a tragic event has such a ripple out effect and how family events such as weddings force families to look at who are they, where they’ve been and the journey to this wedding. Thought the movie really came together when she talks to her mother