January 7, 2009

Tech No Logic

The advancement of technology has become a re-occurring conversation as of late. And the idea of eventually being too old to "get it" has come up numerously. The thought of technologies evolution in our grandparent’s lives and even the evolution in our parent’s lives is ridiculous. My mom was quick to point out her move from the black and white to the colour TV, the toaster oven to the microwave, the gymnasium sized computer to the macbook. It's a tad overwhelming to think of.

A day before I came back to Toronto, I spent the afternoon with my 86-year-old Grandpa. He wanted me to add some contacts into his e-mail address book and then, teach him how to send one. I carefully went through each step and made sure to write it down for reference. After I had left, I attempted to remember the first time I learned to e-mail someone. But I couldn’t. My Grandpa is an intelligent man. But the concept of the internet is still relatively foreign to him. The idea that our futuristic selves may (will) be in-able to comprehend a technology so prevalent within our society leaves a lot to the imagination. If we have Iphone’s and Crackberry’s now, what will our cell phones look like when were 40?

On my plane ride back to Toronto, a man beside me had a lot of opinions to offer. If he could predict the future our cell phones would merely be chips implanted beneath our scalp. Using our thoughts to decide whether or not we wanted to answer. Using our thoughts instead of our mouth to even talk. He amusingly acted out a fake convo with his wife, pretending his brain was magically doing all the work. As she rolled her eyes at the spectacle beside her, she quipped,” relying on the thought process would effectively end every male’s ability to carry a conversation." Her words, not mine.

No comments: